“Janelle Monáe” is a name you may have heard pop up in conversation from time to time. But, rest assured, it ain’t going anywhere.
After speaking with the rising star, here are five reasons you need to learn up.
1. She’s Nominated for Three Grammys: And that’s this year alone. “We Are Young” by fun., which Janelle is featured on, didn’t just blast to the top of Billboard charts. It also scored her noms for Record of the Year, Album of the Year, and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance.
“I’m very excited,” she tells Stereotude. “I’m honored. I’m humbled. I’m just really grateful that they [fun.] reached out to me and we’ve had such an amazing year with ‘We Are Young.’”
2. She’s Performing at Coachella: Janelle will perform on Saturday April 13 at the festival.
On what fans can expect, she tells us: “They can expect honest, crazy, fearless, raw Janelle Monáe.”
3. She Has a New Album Coming Out: She didn’t reveal much, but she did promise it would be “raw, honest… telling universal stories in unforgettable ways.”
4. She’s Got Government Connections: She partied with Los Angeles Mayor Villaraigosa in the East Room of the White House. No biggie…
5. She Has Big-Time Collaborations: In addition to working with the likes of fun., Big Boi and B.o.B in the past, Janelle says her new album will feature another major name… She wouldn't say who.
“You will have to wait,” she says. “But he’s definitely one of my dream collaborations.”