On Sunday night M-Bone was sitting in a car outside an Inglewood liquor store when another car pulled alongside.
Shots were fired, and the 22-year-old rapper was struck twice in the head. He was announced dead shortly after.
The group shot to fame after they released their hit “Teach Me How to Dougie”, which got a huge celebrity and fan following.
So who are the Cali Swag District and the group members? Here are a few things you may not have known about the group:
10. They’re from Inglewood, California, founded by former Death Row artist Big Wy and Dairold Potts.
9. "Teach Me How to Dougie" reached number 1 on Billboard Heatseekers, holding the number 2 position for six consecutive weeks before claiming the number 1 position in its seventh week. It sold 1.6 million downloads.
8. The group's third single, the albums title track, was released on January 18, 2011. On May 16, 2011 group member "M-Bone" passed away of a gunshot wound during a drive-by shooting.
7. According to the urban dictionary, the term "dougie" derives from the name of 80's early 90's Hip Hopper Doug-E- Fresh. The term "dougie" means to have a cool or hip style.
6. The Dougie started in Dallas, Texas.
5. Stars who danced the dougie: First Lady Michelle Obama, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Chris Brown, NBA baller John Wall, Model Kate Upton.
4. On how they came up with ‘Cali Swag District’: “The name obviously comes from the fact that we’re from California. We all have our own individual swag. We look different, we talk different and our district is our city, Inglewood. We all grew up in the same neighborhood, went to school together so basically you can say we’ve been friends for a long time,” said Yung.
3. JayAre from Cali Swag District has a celebrity crush on Teairra Marí.
2. They watch fan uploaded videos on their blog Teachmehowtodougie.com
1. Jayare from Cali Swag District recently blogged that being in the group kept him from getting in trouble with gangs. “Being a part of Cali Swag District has kept me from running the streets. I was hanging around the wrong crowd. Surrounded by people that had no direction and who did not have anything productive to do. Since I have been doing my music with CSD, I have found that I have become more mature and that my personality has changed. I’m more productive and positive.”
Rest in peace M-Bone. We’ll all be doing the dougie for you today.