When we think diva, the first person that jumps to mind is none other than Mariah Carey, the biggest pop diva possibly ever. In celebration of her new album Me, I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse, we've highlighted some of her biggest diva moments over the course of her career:
1. Mariah's tour rider has some very elaborate, ridiculous demands.
Make sure her dressing room is carpeted, draped with black linen (12x12 sections!), and temperature controlled. Plus tea service for eight, only Poland Springs water. For drinking water, "Please note that 16-oz. plastic bottles of Evian are the only acceptable bottles of water for the dressing rooms."
2. That time when she called out her backup singer on live television.
"Stop singing my part now, baby."
3. She walked out on Obama's Inauguration.
The. President. Of. The. United. States. His INAUGURATION.
4. Her new album is called Me, I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse.
We wish we were joking.
5. She's been a diva since Day 1.
Well, technically Year 3. The back cover art for her new album is a self-portrait that she drew when she was three. Even then, Mariah drew diamonds on her fingers and a pack of cigarettes in her hand.
6. Her fabulous arm slings.
When a diva hurts her wrist, her sling HAS to match her outfit.
7. "Why are you so obsessed with me?"
Yeah this was her diss song to Eminem, but still.
8. Her daughter is named Monroe, after Marilyn Monroe.
Mariah's biggest inspiration is Ms. Monroe, the queen of all divas.
9. A live version of Mariah's "Fantasy" was played during her twins' birth.
The twins NEEDED to be born to applause and cheers as they entered the world.
10. Mariah vs. Nicki
The highlight of "American Idol" season 12 was Mariah and Nicki's feud. Mariah had to hire extra security because she felt it was an "unsafe" work environment.
11. Her requirements for turning on the lights at a mall in London were ludicrous.
She demanded 20 white kittens, 100 white doves, 80 security guards, pink confetti in the shape of butterflies, one Rolls-Royce, one pink carpet, and the list goes on.
Although Mariah is the diva of all divas, she showed she has a soft side in an interview with Hot 97's Angie Martinez. "I'm only judgmental about myself. I don't judge anybody else." When Martinez asked in bewilderment "Why?!" Mariah simply answered, "It's called insecurities."
She's a person first, and a diva second. Awww, we love you Mariah!